The process of moving house, however, is sometimes more lengthy than initially anticipated and can easily become overwhelming if you go in without a plan.
The best way forward is to organise your time and set a checklist to keep you on track, your costs low and your stress at bay, until the only item left on the agenda is enjoying a well-earned glass of wine in your new home.
Here are a few key tips to moving homes:
One month before moving
- Find a removalist: Book professional removalists early to secure your ideal moving day
- Arrange special transport: Consider extra vehicles and pets to be moved
- Repairs & maintenance: Book a handyperson to take care of your outgoing house clean up
- Organise paperwork: Group expenses and other documents together so you don’t lose them in the move
- Book secure storage: If you need secure storage for household items, get it sorted early
- Internet: Contact your internet provider to notify them of the new address and arrange for installation at the new house when you arrive
- Declutter items: Clear out old clothes and unwanted household items now, so they don’t come with you in the move. A good idea is to donate them to charity
- Create an inventory: Take stock of all moving items, noting fragile items and heavy furniture
- Start packing: Secure packing takes time, so start early with items you won’t use between now and moving day
One week before moving
- Final inspection: If you’ve purchased a new property, inspect it 24-48 hours before settlement
- Notify utilities: Cancel electricity, gas, water and others. Book new services
- Mail redirection: Make sure to redirect your mail accordingly
- Organise essentials: Ready yourself for moving day by setting essentials aside; these are items you will need on hand during the move and immediately after. We recommend keeping a kettle, cups and teabags/coffee as part of your essentials (as well as maybe a wine glass or two)!
- Finish packing: Ensure packing is completed days before the big day
- Confirm removalist & storage: If you are moving interstate, this is particularly important. Double check dates, provide details and pay invoices
- Create a floor plan: This helps removalists place furniture in your new property
- Organise cleaning: Plan the cleaning of your old house. Don’t try to finish this on moving day unless you can definitely get it done
One day before moving
- Set this day aside for any last-minute jobs that need completing.
- Last minute tasks: Tidy up, go over your inventory and confirm moving services if you haven’t already.
- Pets: It’s also a good time to consider your pets; a good idea may be to drop them off at a family or friend’s home so they are safe and out of the way on moving day.
If you’ve followed the steps above, you should already be well-prepared to move in the morning.
- Brief removalists: Give them a tour of your home, including furniture and fragile items, and provide them with your floor plan
- Tick off inventory: Go through your belongings as they are loaded on the truck
- Carry important items: Valuables like jewellery, laptops, and incidentals should be moved with you
- Secure house: Go through to make sure everything is packed and the house is left clean (or you have plans to clean later)
- Return keys: Give keys and any access passes back to the landlord or property manager if necessary
- Direct removalists: Make sure you are present at the new house to show removalists around
- Check condition of items: Before sending off the removalists, check the condition and review inventory
- Essentials first: Put beds together, and arrange kitchen and living areas as a priority
- Utilities setup: Ensure the gas, water, electricity and Internet are set up
Download the checklist
If you follow this checklist next time you move house, it will make for a simple, efficient and stress-free process. All that’s left to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy your new home.